The nonprofit that holds a reverter clause over the Coral Gables War Memorial Youth Center at 405 University Drive, a provision that could return the property to the organization if it stops serving youth, lost its federal tax-exempt status for more than six years before the IRS restored it in May 2026. The reinstatement was not publicly disclosed until an Aesop's Gables analysis published Wednesday, Aug. 5.

The IRS issued a determination letter on May 6, 2026, to the Coral Gables War Memorial Youth Center Association, reinstating its recognition as a tax-exempt private foundation retroactive to May 15, 2020. That was the date the agency had automatically revoked the Association's status after three consecutive years of missed filings.

The letter was addressed to the Association care of attorney Jane Muir at her Alhambra Plaza office. Muir serves as the Association's secretary and its representative of record before the IRS.

The reinstatement came through Revenue Procedure 2014-11, the non-streamlined path required for private foundations. That process requires an organization to file all delinquent returns and submit a signed officer statement establishing reasonable cause for each missed year.

What the city received and what it didn't

Accountants reconstructed seven tax returns as part of the reinstatement application. Muir provided five to the city. The two she withheld cover 2017 and 2018, the years inside the three-year filing gap that triggered the revocation.

The Association's filed returns show total expenditures averaging $3,846.75 per year over eight years, no board member compensation, zero liabilities and more than $100,000 in reserve funds managed by Morgan Stanley, according to the Coral Gables Gazette.

No Morgan Stanley account activity statement showing deposits, withdrawals and transfers has been produced to the city or the public.

What the timeline shows

On Aug. 26, 2025, Muir wrote to City Attorney Cristina Suarez that the documents she was enclosing reflected the Association's "continued compliance" with state and federal law. On that date, the Association's exemption had been revoked for five years and three months. Reinstatement was still eight months away.

At the May 5, 2026, commission meeting, Mayor Vince Lago said the city cannot move forward with a planned $50 million to $75 million Youth Center renovation under these circumstances. "Under no circumstances can you do that when you have this type of cooperation and this type of partnership with a 501(c)(3) that lets its 501(c)(3) lapse for five years [and] does not provide financial documentation," Lago said, according to the Gazette's coverage of that meeting.

In a July 14, 2026, response published in the Coral Gables Gazette, Muir defended the Association's record but did not mention the IRS reinstatement letter she had held since May.

Political backdrop

Kirk Menendez, the Association's president during the years its status lapsed, is a former Coral Gables city commissioner who lost to Lago in the 2025 mayoral race. He has since stepped down as president. In August 2025, after the city demanded financial records, Menendez told the Gazette the request treated the Association like "any private entity — like the Rotary Club, the Friends of Coral Gables Senior High, or any private business in Coral Gables."

The commission voted 4-1 in June 2026 to pause litigation against the Association until at least Dec. 1, 2026, while both sides continue discussions, according to the Miami Herald. That pause was conditioned on halting major capital improvements at the Youth Center until the reverter clause in the 1958 deed is modified.

Federal law opens the Association's reinstatement filing, including the exemption application and the officer's signed reasonable-cause statement, to public inspection.

The next scheduled Coral Gables City Commission meeting is Tuesday, Aug. 25.